About the Building
This historic building, made of concrete faced with stone, extends from Houston to Throckmorton along West Fourth Street. It is primarily a residential building, with 59 lofts on the upper floors and the adjacent Fakes Building.
Watch virtual tours of the Sanger Lofts by clicking on any of the images below.
This building opened in 1929 as the Sanger Brothers Department Store. Today we take air conditioning for granted, but at the time this was the first department store west of the Mississippi to feature the relatively new innovation. Unfortunately, the Depression forced the store to close only a few years later. The building became the largest United Service Organization (U.S.O.) in the nation in 1943. After the war, the J.C. Penney Co., which had been operating in the Fakes Building next door, took over the space and occupied the building until the early 1970s. It was later used by Edison’s and N.C. Hall’s Jewelers.
Sundance Square renovated the building in 1986 and converted the upper floors to 59 loft apartments. Architect for the project was David M. Schwarz Architectural Services, Inc.
The Sanger Building is on the National Register of Historic Places.