About the Building
The Land Title Building is one of the best examples of Victorian architecture in downtown Fort Worth. It’s made of brick, sandstone, and cast iron, and still retains the original stained glass windows and multi-colored glazed brick. The Land Title Building has been carefully preserved and integrated into Sundance Square Plaza, and also tied to the Commerce Building, The Acorn, and The Oak buildings.
The Land Title Building is occupied by the Bird Café, which also features a patio and balcony facing Sundance Square Plaza.
When it was built in 1889, the style of the structure was rare in this part of the country. The Land Title Building features the first stone carving in Fort Worth – the figure of an owl – and displays the initials of the law firm Ross, Head and Ross, which once occupied the second floor.
Over the years, it has housed the Land Mortgage Bank, the Chamberlain Investment Co. – the company that developed Arlington Heights in west Fort Worth – and the Flying Saucer Beer Emporium.